Definition of colonnade in English:
1A row of columns supporting a roof, an entablature, or arcade.
- The sight lines leading to the colonnade and entablature of the Parliament are left unobstructed.
- Entablatures and colonnades are common structural features of basalt.
- The rest of the structure is of bamboo: poles 80 to 100 mm in diameter are lashed together with rattan or connected by bolts to form roof trusses and the colonnade.
1.1A row of trees or other tall objects.
- The eastern slope below Playfair's buildings has been pierced by a rusticated colonnade of battered piers framing large windows.
- A long colonnade of towers would line Atlantic Avenue, terracing down to a landscaped park bounded by low-rise residential buildings, scaled to the existing brownstone neighborhood just to the south.
- They look like an elegant row of columns, tiny enough for atomic-scale hide-and-seek, but these colonnades represent a new way to bring nanotechnology into mass production.
- Example sentences
- The grape harvest is received and sorted in a colonnaded courtyard at the east end of the site, where an oversailing roof canopy shades and signposts the entrance to the great vat shed.
- Built incrementally, it was originally a theatre, with a pleasingly symmetrical Italianate colonnaded frontage facing the town's main square.
- The enclosed rooms are separated by small gardens, but tied together to the west by a long colonnaded veranda that runs the whole length of the building.
Words that rhyme with colonnadeabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, arcade, balustrade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, cockade, crusade, dissuade, downgrade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, paid, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, pervade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, staid, stockade, stock-in-trade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan