- 1Having much or varied color; bright: a colorful array of fruitMore example sentences
- The local committee have asked you all to make a special effort over the next two weeks to have Newport looking clean and tidy, bright and colourful.
- The company produces hand-made chocolates in bright colourful wrapping.
- It is wacky and different, bright and colourful.
- 2Full of interest; lively and exciting: a controversial and colorful character a colorful account of the meetingMore example sentences
- I duly left school and became a typist in the Mines Department where I met some interesting and colourful characters.
- Along the way, he meets a long line of interesting and colourful characters.
- His lyrics are always childlike and unpretentious, evoking ridiculous pictures and colourful characters.
- 2.1(Of a person’s life or background) involving variously disreputable activities: he gained a playboy reputation during a colorful bachelorhoodMore example sentences
- The dramatic announcement brings to an end one of the most controversial and colourful careers in Scottish football.
- But it has often been his colourful private life as much as his promising political career that has ensured he is never far from the media spotlight.
- It's a conscientious and enjoyable peek at the life and career of one of our most colourful politicians.
- 2.2(Of language) vulgar or rude: colorful words usually impolite in public meetingsMore example sentences
- I said a few colorful words in our language, making him laugh.
- My language was colourful and consisted of mostly four-letter words.
- He uttered a crude four-letter curse that would rival any sailor's colorful language, then tried to roll over again.
- More example sentences
- The new booklet, which is beautifully and colourfully produced, draws together for the first time, details of the many natural attractions and significant buildings of West Waterford.
- Every summer, the streets of Edmonton become filled with a myriad of colourfully costumed characters singing and dancing their blues away during one of the city's most popular street festivals.
- It began at around noon when a group of about 100 colourfully dressed people set off from Princes Street towards the financial district, banging drums and waving black flags.
- More example sentences
- During my journey into work this morning I was almost blinded by the relative colourfulness and brightness of London.
- Their presence and their industry have done a lot for Bedford, and add to the colourfulness of this cosmopolitan town.
- By contrast, but as impactful, is his still life - completely different in its striking colourfulness.