- 1Extremely large: a colossal amount of mail a colossal mistakeMore example sentences
- She has put on a colossal amount of weight though, so I hope she's doing ok and it's not a bad sign.
- For any of them to become a reality would require a massive amount of consultation, colossal investment and a great deal of faith.
- It made £4500 in 1973, which was a colossal amount of money.
- 1.1 Architecture (Of a giant order) having more than one story of columns.More example sentences
- The five-bay front facade has a three-bay, colossal, fluted, composite order portico which is repeated on the five-bay rear façade.
- Michelangelo emphasizes the massiveness of the Senators palace by using the colossal order and balustrade above a tall base.
- It is also the only building in the parish with colossal order columns.
- 1.2 Sculpture (Of a statue) at least twice life size.More example sentences
- Then, aged 26, he took on the seemingly impossible challenge of sculpting a colossal statue of the biblical hero, David, from one piece of flawed marble.
- Along with a colossal statue of Athena, bases for busts inscribed with the names of Homer, Herodotus and other noted literary figures were found here.
- Standing in the shadows of the colossal statues in front of the twin temples of Abu Simbel, one can only feel humble by human ingenuity, both past and present.
- More example sentences
- What is indisputable is that they were colossally influential, spawning generations of writers desperate to mimic them.
- Small businesses seeking to expand find the odds stacked colossally against them.
- There's something colossally wrong with this view.
early 18th century: from French, from colosse, from Latin colossus (see colossus).