Definition of coltsfoot in English:
noun (plural coltsfoots)
A Eurasian plant of the daisy family, with yellow flowers that appear in early spring, followed by large, heart-shaped leaves. It is used in herbal medicine for the treatment of coughs and respiratory disorders.
- Tussilago farfara, family Compositae
- Besides picking the more familiar lemon balm, coltsfoot and mullein, I found myself picking honeysuckle flowers for their antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- In fact, a replica of the coltsfoot flower used to be placed above the doorway of Pharmacies in Paris, as an emblem of effective medicine.
- Even on a late February afternoon, spring flowers were already well in evidence, especially butterbur, coltsfoot, dog's mercury, barren strawberry and even the odd primrose.
mid 16th century: translating medieval Latin pes pulli 'foal's foot', with reference to the shape of the leaves.
Definition of coltsfoot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan