noun (plural columbaria /-ˈbe(ə)rēə/)
- 1A room or building with niches for funeral urns to be stored.More example sentences
- We descended into the columbarium and squeezed in between the many many wide ladders that the temple had decided were suitable for the narrow alleyways between shelves piled with urns containing cremated remains.
- One option being considered is high-rise columbaria.
- On either side of the entrance to the Wargrave columbarium are carvings of peacocks of considerable finesse, in such low relief that they are almost invisible at times; to know the artist would be instructive.
mid 18th century: from Latin, literally 'pigeon house'.
More definitions of columbariumDefinition of columbarium in:
- The British & World English dictionary