Definition of comb jelly in English:
A marine animal with a jellyfishlike body bearing rows of fused cilia for propulsion. They are typically small planktonic animals and are noted for their luminescence.
- Phylum Ctenophora: two classes
- The comb jelly introduced to the Black Sea via the shipping industry in the early 1980s, now comprises up to 95 percent of the biomass in the Black Sea.
- One of the most extraordinary and convincing examples of cryptic female choice occurs in the comb jelly Beroe ovata.
- When Leidy's comb jelly was introduced to the Black Sea from the United States in 1990, an absence of competitors and predators allowed this jellyfish-like organism to flourish.
Definition of comb jelly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.