1Consume by fire.
- Researchers are trying to eliminate the flame, replacing it with a catalyst that combusts methane at lower temperature, emitting less smog-producing nitrogen oxide pollution.
- The latter provides the oxygen required to combust the soot particles and is completely reduced to nitrogen oxide in the process.
- You need to essentially combust a lot of fossil fuel to make your nitrogen even for some sugar cane plantations.
1.1 [no object] Be consumed by fire.
- This gentle contemplation was soon broken, however, by the overwhelming odours of sulphur and phosphorous, and for a brief moment the thought occurred that the building had spontaneously combusted from the pure energy.
- The Daily Mail building would spontaneously combust.
- Fiberglass insulation, in contrast, melts at slightly over 1,100 degrees, and cellulose combusts during house fires.
Late 15th century: from obsolete combust 'burned, calcined', from Latin combustus, past participle of comburere 'burn up'.
Words that rhyme with combustadjust, august, bust, crust, dust, encrust, entrust, gust, just, lust, mistrust, must, robust, rust, thrust, trust, undiscussed
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of combust in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.