Definition of comic relief in English:
1Comic episodes in a dramatic or literary work that offset more serious sections.
- Intended for comic relief, the song and dance numbers come across as uninspired and robotic.
- The creative rationale for this storyline is comic relief.
- There are elements of classic comic relief throughout Barker's interlocking tales.
1.1A character or characters providing this.
- Dallas Smith elevates his character way beyond comic relief.
- On the other hand, he's good for a bit of wisdom or comic relief, so his character isn't a total waste.
- Rather than have one character pop up in the story for the inevitable comic relief, every supporting character (with the exception of Lucy's father) fights for the honour.
Definition of comic relief in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan