Definition of comma in English:
1A punctuation mark (,) indicating a pause between parts of a sentence. It is also used to separate items in a list and to mark the place of thousands in a large numeral.
- For one thing, the author has a nasty habit of separating sentences with a comma, when a semi-colon would be far more appropriate.
- In the realm of punctuation, a comma is used for a brief pause, a semicolon for a more moderate pause, and a period as a full stop.
- You make punctuation mistakes on a regular basis, particularly by using commas when semi-colons or full stops are required.
2 Music A minute interval or difference of pitch.
- The source of the comma, is the difference between a human singing voice, and an inanimate object: a monochord.
- In the simple folk song shown here, a comma to the right of a pattern of notes signifies that a mini-closure should be expressed.
- Help the congregation to understand the necessity to sing with meaning (take breaths at commas, not at the end of musical lines).
3 (also comma butterfly) A butterfly that has wings with irregular, ragged edges and typically a white or silver comma-shaped mark on the underside of each hind wing.
- Genus Polygonia, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae: numerous species, in particular the common eastern comma (P. comma) of eastern North America
- The comma butterfly is now regularly seen much further north than previously.
- Trees have been coming into leaf sooner, migrant birds are arriving earlier, frog spawn is being spotted before Christmas, while comma and holly blue butterflies have been sighted as early as March.
- Adult commas feed from flowers such as dandelions and thistles.
Words that rhyme with commabomber, momma, prommer
Definition of comma in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan