- An improvised kind of popular comedy in Italian theaters in the 16th-18th centuries, based on stock characters. Actors adapted their comic dialogue and action according to a few basic plots (commonly love intrigues) and to topical issues.More example sentences
- These were worn by players in the Italian theater known as commedia dell'arte, which was popular in the 16th century.
- The heroes of this strange and gripping twenty-first-century love story resemble personages from the Italian commedia dell'arte.
- The story involves three characters from commedia dell'arte - Pierrot, Columbine, and Brighella - and uses them to illustrate the vulnerability of innocence.
Italian, 'comedy of art'.
More definitions of commedia dell'arteDefinition of commedia dell'arte in:
- The British & World English dictionary