- Report on an event as it occurs, especially for a news or sports broadcast; provide a commentary.More example sentences
- He has been commentating on the sport since 1949.
- He has also had a life-long interest in greyhound racing and regularly commentated on the sport on both radio and television.
- He is keen to branch into areas like sports commentating, a field where former tennis players don't always perform best, he believes.
mid 19th century: back-formation from commentator.
More definitions of commentateDefinition of commentate in:
- The British & World English dictionary