1A person who comments on events or on a text.
- A comment by a leading commentator on British industrial performance, David Coates, is suggestive.
- Indeed, commentators often observe that it is almost impossible to know where the Prime Minister ends and his adviser begins.
- Although the President denied bowing to industry pressure, few analysts or commentators were convinced.
analyst, pundit, monitor, observer;
1.1A person who delivers a live commentary on an event or performance.
- The BBC has announced its team of presenters, commentators and analysts for the World Cup.
- Keighley coach Gary Moorby has swapped seats with Roe, who regularly works as a match commentator on Radio Leeds.
- John Motson has been a front line commentator with BBC Television for over 25 years.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.