Definition of comminuted in English:
1Reduced to minute particles or fragments.
- The results indicate a significant quantity of sand and silt in the samples consists of carbonate material, possibly comprising comminuted fossils.
- The ribbon could be used for specialty applications, but is most often comminuted into flake powder for subsequent degassing and consolidation.
- The carbonate component is represented by rounded and polished grains of comminuted molluscs.
1.1 Medicine (Of a fracture) producing multiple bone splinters.
- Beneath the muscles, and on the same side, I found an extensive comminuted fracture, the bone being broken into eight or nine different portions, and driven in upon the brain.
- If any instability is noted after reduction or the fracture is comminuted, the patient should be referred to an orthopedist.
- ‘Our club doctor Mark Waller has confirmed that he suffered a comminuted fracture of the tibia and fracture of the fibula in his left leg.’
early 17th century: past participle of comminute, from Latin comminut- 'broken into pieces', from the verb comminuere, from com- 'together' + minuere 'lessen'.
Definition of comminuted in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan