Definition of commissaire in English:
1A senior police officer in France.
- The standing which the event enjoys with the UCI, the world governing body, is reflected in the fact that international commissaire Jack Watson will act as chief commissaire, assisted by a panel of four commissaires.
- His father was a Commissaire de Police for the French Government.
- This lone civilian was a commissaire of police, and the sole representative of the city's civil population.
1.1An official at a bicycle race or other sporting event.
- After May 31 only valid licence holders will be considered for ranking, to the National Pool, training and selecting teams for foreign competitions and commissaires to officiate at races.
- He has a few words with the commissaires before rejoining the pack.
- The race was stopped by the commissaire following this bizarre happening!
mid 18th century: French.
Definition of commissaire in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India