Definition of commissioner in English:
1A person appointed to a role on or by a commission: the traffic commissioner the New York State Health Commissioner
More example sentences
- The traffic commissioner's office, once located in Talbot Road, Old Trafford, was moved to Yorkshire in 1997.
- I will be most interested to see what role the commissioners will be carrying out.
- The commissioner's role will be to receive and process complaints about judges, to identify those requiring a full investigation because they raise a question of removal of a judge.
1.1North American A person appointed to regulate a particular sport: the baseball commissioner
More example sentences
- He contends that in a misguided effort to promote baseball, the commissioner and owners have bent their sport out of shape.
- Then, on his way to his office at Milwaukee's County Stadium, the baseball commissioner stopped to do a family errand.
- Compared with commissioners in other pro sports who are hired by team owners, he has considerably more power in regard to competition.
1.2A representative of the supreme authority in an area.
- The high court has ordered that deputy commissioners and local authorities should not permit land conversion and construction without sanction of the metropolitan planning authorities.
- The commissioners were official representatives who were supposed to explain why their state had seceded and encourage similar action from their audiences.
- He added that matter would be further discussed at the next joint meeting of the township commissioners and sewage authority at 4 p.m.
- Example sentences
- If some day, let's say re-elected or whatever, he was offered the commissionership of baseball?
- The commissionership isn't a lifetime appointment.
- ‘County residents will suffer if an inexperienced candidate is awarded the commissionership on election day,’.
Words that rhyme with commissionerconditioner, exhibitioner, missioner, munitioner, parishioner, partitioner, petitioner, positioner, practitioner, requisitioner
Definition of commissioner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.