- 1 [treated as singular or plural] A group of people appointed for a specific function, typically consisting of members of a larger group: the housing committee [as modifier]: a committee meetingMore example sentences
- An emergency meeting of the committee members met last Friday to decide what action to take.
- The committee members attended a function in the Civic Offices last Friday night.
- All families who use our services, and past committee members and staff are welcome.
- 1.1A group of people appointed by a legislature to consider the details of proposed legislation: there was much scrutiny in committeeMore example sentences
- He agreed with much Mr Kearley had said, and would be prepared to consider amendments in committee.
- If no one objects, it will be discussed in further detail in committee, before moving on to the House of Commons.
- Several committees of the European Parliament had recommended such a course of action before any agreement was concluded.