Definition of commode in English:
- Down the years, there have been as many shapes and designs of chamber pots and commodes as there have been names.
- The rooms were well-furnished and had English commodes, bath-tubs and running water.
- The centre loans wheelchairs, commodes and other essential equipment to disabled and elderly people.
- The wall-mounted commodes and lavatories provide comparable maintenance benefits.
- They heard the commode flush and the bathroom door open.
- We live on the 16th floor of the tallest apartment block in Gabrovo where throughout the day, the aroma of 15 floors of collective gases from unflushed commodes waft upwards and emanate from our drains.
- Master cabinetmakers fashioned a low chest of drawers, which differed from the bureau commode, or large table with drawers, that was crafted in the baroque period.
- Its stylish catalogues are full of mahogany commodes, solid sideboards and muscular chests.
- Neoclassical commodes, desks, and some chairs had fluted tapered legs reminiscent of upside-down obelisks.
accommodate from mid 16th century:
The source of accommodate is Latin accommodare ‘make fitting, fit one thing to another’, formed from commodus ‘fit’. It came into English with the basic Latin sense, and through the idea of finding something that fitted someone's needs, had developed the sense of ‘provide lodgings for’ by the early 18th century. Latin commodus is also the base of commode (mid 18th century) something ‘fit, convenient’, and originally used of a chest of drawers before becoming a seat containing a chamber pot in the early 19th century and of commodity (Late Middle English) originally something useful.
Words that rhyme with commodeabode, bestrode, bode, code, corrode, download, encode, erode, explode, forebode, goad, implode, load, lode, middle-of-the-road, mode, node, ode, offload, outrode, road, rode, sarod, Spode, strode, toad, upload, woad
Definition of commode in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.