- 1A member of a commune.More example sentences
- The communards resolutely refused to have anything do with religious icons.
- 1.1 (Communard) • historical A supporter of the Paris Commune.More example sentences
- For instance, if you read about the Paris Commune, whether or not you agree with the position of the Communards, the Paris Commune is a tremendously exciting story.
- The Communards set about reorganising Paris along democratic socialist lines.
- He was the only painter of the Impressionist group to record the destruction of the Commune, and was outraged by the ruthless way in which the Communards were massacred.
late 19th century: from French, from commune1.
More definitions of communardDefinition of communard in:
- The British & World English dictionary