Definition of communard in English:
1A member of a commune.
- The communards resolutely refused to have anything do with religious icons.
1.1 (Communard) historical A supporter of the Paris Commune.
- For instance, if you read about the Paris Commune, whether or not you agree with the position of the Communards, the Paris Commune is a tremendously exciting story.
- The Communards set about reorganising Paris along democratic socialist lines.
- He was the only painter of the Impressionist group to record the destruction of the Commune, and was outraged by the ruthless way in which the Communards were massacred.
Late 19th century: from French, from commune1.
Definition of communard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.