Definition of community service in English:
1Voluntary work intended to help people in a particular area.
- Dozens of people I know are involved in voluntary community service in one way or another, and seek no reward, nor even expenses.
- The community service award is for people or organisations who have helped to improve the quality of life for people in this town.
- Many are people nominated for their work in education, health, local sport and the area of community service.
1.1 Law Unpaid work, intended to be of social use, that an offender is required to do instead of going to prison: sentenced to 600 hours of community service
More example sentences
- She was ordered to do community service for 100 hours and to pay £250 costs.
- Offenders on community service orders should be brought in to assist the clean-up.
- He's been sentenced to 120 hours of community service and been ordered to pay court costs.
Definition of community service in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan