Definition of commutator in English:
1An attachment, connected to the armature of a motor or generator, through which electrical connection is made and which ensures that the current flows as direct current.
- It may also increase efficiency of machines as there won't be frictional effects of brushes, commutators, etc, on the motor itself.
- He went on to build an electric motor in 1832 and invented the commutator, an integral part of most modern electric motors.
- One of the places you need them is in modern small motors which don't have a commutator.
1.1A device for reversing the direction of flow of electric current.
- The commutator must switch current to the correct drive magnets in the correct direction at the correct time in order to produce desired rotor movement.
- Note how the commutator reverses the current each time the coil turns halfway.
Definition of commutator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan