Definition of companion planting in English:
The close planting of different plants that enhance each other’s growth or protect each other from pests.
- Many gardeners swear by companion planting - pairing two plants in a garden for mutual benefit or at least the advantage of one.
- Tips on predicting the weather (keep an eye on your azaleas), sowing seeds in sync with the phases of the moon, companion planting, and dealing with pests are all included.
- I learned companion planting isn't just for plants, it works even better for humans.
companion plant noun
- Example sentences
- Because Elaeagnus promotes the growth of nitrogen-fixing bacteria, it makes an outstanding companion plant in the garden, landscape, or orchard.
- In the garden, basil is a fine ornamental and has a long history as a companion plant; it's supposed to improve the growth and flavor of tomatoes and help repel flying insects.
- Besides its well-known reputation as a culinary stand-out, basil is equally impressive in the garden, both for its benefits as a companion plant and for its dramatic and versatile use in the landscape.
Definition of companion planting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan