- 1(Of a marriage or relationship) between partners or spouses as equal companions.More example sentences
- Changes in educational and employment patterns have made the companionate marriage between equals more common.
- Although the home was patriarchal, by the Victorian era domesticity also entailed a considerable degree of comfort for the middle-class male from his companionate relationship with his wife.
- The old hierarchical marriage is giving way to a companionate marriage, especially in the urban middle classes.
More definitions of companionateDefinition of companionate in:
- The British & World English dictionary