- 1The action or process of producing something, especially a list, book, or report, by assembling information collected from other sources: great care has been taken in the compilation of this guidebookMore example sentences
- They are the product of a long process of composition and compilation.
- The compilation of such a list culled from thousands of votes is also valuable in a historical sense.
- Collation of data, compilation of the figure, and final drafting were done by DM.
- 2A thing, especially a book, record, or broadcast program, that is put together by assembling previously separate items: there are thirty-three stories in this compilation [as modifier]: a compilation albumMore example sentences
- Book and magazine compilations of the best album covers highlight numerous works from this era.
- Weston is undeterred by the less-than-successful track record of eclectic compilations.
- These books are compilations of Groening's old news-paper cartoon strips from 20 years ago.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin compilatio(n-), from compilare 'to plunder' (see compile).