- 1Decayed organic material used as a plant fertilizer.More example sentences
- Mulch with an organic material such as compost or alfalfa hay.
- Amend soil regularly with compost and apply organic mulches continually to enrich your soil.
- There is no fertilizer better than compost, and you can make it yourself for free!
- 1.1A mixture of decayed organic material with loam and/or other ingredients, used as a growing medium.More example sentences
- With the gardening season now getting into full swing, the trust is urging people to only use peat-free composts in their gardens.
- In the croft garden we always use peat-free composts and prefer those made from composted bark.
- Gardening is our fastest growing pastime and the demand for composts is greater than ever - still largely met by commercial peat extraction.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1Make (vegetable matter or manure) into compost: don’t compost heavily infested plantsMore example sentences
- You can compost fruits, vegetables, tea bags and coffee grounds, as well as leaf and yard waste.
- During the composting season, check your bin regularly to assure optimum moisture and aeration are present in the material being composted.
- At this time of year it's also important to regularly remove dead flowers and leaves from plants and then compost this material for later return of the nutrients to the beds.
- 1.1Treat (soil) with compost: we turned clay soil into almost workable soil by composting itMore example sentences
- When planting tulip or daffodil bulbs in a formal display it pays to make sure that the soil has been well composted and forked over beforehand.
- They like shade and composted soil and plenty of water.
- He saw how well the tomatoes flourished in that dark composted soil.
- More example sentences
- There are much better things to do with compostable material.
- Nationally we will be increasing the waste going to landfill in direct opposition to the EU requirements to reduce compostable waste going to landfill.
- Councillors also gave a new green bin scheme for collecting compostable waste the go-ahead.
- More example sentences
- Some composters find that mixing the two together is more effective than layering.
- But by tilling them directly into the soil, Susan saves a trip to the composter and her soil's ready by spring.
- Some home composters sell their finished compost to local nurseries or other family gardeners.
late Middle English: from Old French composte, from Latin composita, compositum 'something put together', feminine and neuter past participle of componere.