Definition of comprehend in English:
- There's something else afoot, something I will never understand or comprehend.
- Still, so much time is spent on trying to rock the boat, in trying to understand and comprehend.
- I understood and comprehended what would take most children years to take in and be able to use.
- 1comprehender noun
- Example sentences
- The value of RT as an intervention for poor comprehenders has been documented in many sources.
- Good second-language comprehenders do not read mechanically but utilize top-down processing strategies, even when they demonstrate equal levels of L2 language proficiency as less successful comprehenders.
- Research indicates that skilled comprehenders organize text into phrase-like units.
prison from Old English:
This comes via Old French from Latin prehendere ‘to seize’. Prehendere is a rich source of English words, being found, amongst many, in apprehend (late 16th century), comprehend (late 16th century); prehensile (late 18th century); and reprehensible (Late Middle English). A shortening of prehendere lies behind praedari ‘plunder’ and praeda ‘booty’, which lie behind depredation (Late Middle English); predatory [L16]; and prey (Middle English).
Words that rhyme with comprehendamend, append, apprehend, ascend, attend, befriend, bend, blend, blende, commend, condescend, contend, defriend, depend, emend, end, expend, extend, fend, forfend, friend, impend, interdepend, lend, mend, misapprehend, misspend, offend, on-trend, Oostende, Ostend, perpend, portend, rend, reprehend, scrag-end, send, spend, subtend, suspend, tail end, tend, transcend, trend, underspend, unfriend, upend, vend, weekend, wend
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.