Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of compresence in English:
noun[mass noun] chiefly Philosophy
The simultaneous presence together of properties or experienced qualities.
- The theory relies on what James takes to be the experienced relations of sensible compresence and sensible continuity.
- But this is difficult to square with Maurin's claim that compresence is external to its terms.
- Each stage of the regress depends on the coherence of a compresence bundle at the next stage, ad infinitum.
- compresent adjective
- Example sentences
- The bundle theorist says that all particulars are (where particulars are your most basic ontological entities, and the things built up from them), are a group on compresent properties.
- In that case, to say that P is instantiated by x is to just say that P is compresent with itself.
- Therefore, a trope cannot be compresent with itself unless it is compresent with other tropes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.