- The ratio of the maximum to minimum volume in the cylinder of an internal combustion engine.More example sentences
- As the engine load increases, the head tilts by up to four degrees in order to lower the effective compression ratio by altering the volume of the combustion chamber with the piston at top dead center.
- To determine the compression ratio of an internal combustion engine, compare the greatest volume of the piston cylinder (when the piston is at it's maximum excusion) to the lowest volume (when the piston is at top dead centre).
- The Manley connecting rods and pistons swing on a Callies crankshaft and provide a compression ratio of 15 to 1.
More definitions of compression ratioDefinition of compression ratio in:
- The British & World English dictionary