- 1 [no object] Focus one’s attention or mental effort on a particular object or activity: she couldn’t concentrate on the movieMore example sentences
- Some will say that they just can't concentrate or focus their attention.
- However, their ability to concentrate and focus attention and performance in exams needs to be monitored.
- Jerry concentrated harder, and focused on Mr. Hilleary.
- 1.1 (concentrate on/upon) Do or deal with (one particular thing) above all others: Luke wants to concentrate on his film careerMore example sentences
- Then we would all have had to concentrate upon dealing with hate and bloodthirstiness instead of pouring all our energy into controlling sexuality.
- This essay type question concentrates on a particular difficulty which has developed in the case law of the Court of Justice.
- We should concentrate on peace and health for all before we embark on glory for the few.
- 2 [with object] Gather (people or things) together in numbers or in a mass: wealth was concentrated in the hands of the governing eliteMore example sentences
- At the bottom the principal colors are violet, green, and ocher; they are strongly concentrated in relatively large masses which together form a kind of oval.
- Instead, resources are to be concentrated in the population density areas of greater Dublin with smaller investment recommended for Cork and Limerick.
- The first is that India's Muslim population is concentrated in a few States - 36 per cent reside in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
- 2.1 [no object] Come together in numbers or in a mass: troops were concentrating at the western frontMore example sentences
- Not, ‘should all the students be allowed to concentrate together?’
- And, in a strange, twisted way, I'm grateful that my twinges and aches and creakings seem often enough to concentrate all together on a single day.
- The training exercises could be turned into military action against Taiwan because of the large number of troops already concentrating in Fujian Province.
- 2.2Increase the strength or proportion of (a substance or solution) by removing or reducing the water or any other diluting agent or by selective accumulation of atoms or molecules.More example sentences
condense, boil down, reduce, thicken
- If the anhydrous form is being prepared, the solution is then concentrated to remove the water and crystallized.
- The C4 plants concentrate carbon dioxide levels prior to the Calvin cycle through the Hatch-Slack pathway.
- Distillation is a useful method for concentrating liquids from a solution.
nounBack to top
- A substance made by removing water or other diluting agent; a concentrated form of something, especially food: apple juice concentrateMore example sentences
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar, apple juice concentrate, and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- The grapes produced by commercial viticulture are sold either as table grapes or drying grapes, or crushed and processed into wine or grape juice, grape concentrate, or rectified grape must.
- Passion fruit syrup can be replaced with 2 additional tablespoons of orange juice concentrate.
- More example sentences
- This concentrative meditation is a precursor to vipassana meditation, which has been referred to as ‘choiceless awareness’ or ‘mindfulness’.
- Recently there have been sophisticated investigations of expert meditators from various concentrative practices such as Buddhism, Zen, meditative yoga, and Qi Gong.
- It should be remembered that much of the case law decided prior to the amendment to Regulation 4064 89 was concerned with the divide between concentrative and co-operative joint ventures.
- More example sentences
- Mike, Mickey, and other medical equipment people have a 42-foot trailer full of beds, wheelchairs, oxygen concentrators, et cetera.
- Ann's husband Eric Martin, who presented the cheque to hospice fund-raiser Gillian Richardson, was told that the money will be used to buy much-needed oxygen concentrators.
- IOC's concentrator in Labrador City has an annual production capacity of 17.5 million tonnes and its pellet plant is capable of producing over 11 million tonnes, according to company information.