Definition of concertino in English:
noun (plural concertinos)
1A simple or short concerto.
- Sadly Fauré died before the concertino was completed, but the two movements we have - ‘Blues’ and ‘Charleston’ - indicate a new departure in the Maître's musical progress.
- Creston's Seven Theses will probably shock those who know items like the marimba concertino or the Symphony #2.
- Hindemith quickly learnt to play it and wrote a concertino the very next year.
2A solo instrument or solo instruments playing with an orchestra.
- It is more baroque than the first in that for obbligato piano it substitutes real interchange between ripieno strings and concertino quartet.
- Aria 24 combines two concertino recorders with flutes.
- The concertino instruments sometimes play alone and sometimes are heard in combination with the ripieno group.
Late 18th century: Italian, diminutive of concerto (see concerto).
Words that rhyme with concertinoalbino, bambino, babycino, beano, Borodino, Borsalino, cappuccino, casino, chino, Comino, Filipino, fino, Gino, keno, Ladino, Latino, Leno, maraschino, merino, Monte Cassino, Navarino, neutrino, Pacino, palomino, pecorino, Reno, San Marino, Sansovino, Torino, Trevino, Valentino, vino, Zeno
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.