- An agreement or treaty, especially one between the Vatican and a secular government relating to matters of mutual interest.More example sentences
- The canonical-mission requirement was later incorporated into concordats between the Vatican and several German states, and the Reich itself.
- He saw firsthand the Church's disastrous experience with Nazism in Germany, when a concordat between the Vatican and the Nazis failed to protect the Church from Hitler.
- It was Adolf Hitler who made a concordat with the Vatican, securing these benefits for the church.
early 17th century: from French, or from Latin concordatum 'something agreed upon', neuter past participle of concordare 'be of one mind' (see concord).
More definitions of concordatDefinition of concordat in:
- The British & World English dictionary