- However, the two theories do clash, and this stems from the implicit assumption in the lepidomorial theory that ontogenetic and phylogenetic patterns equate; i.e., phylogenetic concrescence results from ontogenetic concrescence.
- Indeed, on this basis it is possible to reject the implicit axiom of the lepidomorial theory, that all change occurs through ontogenetic concrescence, as well as the principle that ontogenetic concrescence is possible.
- Phylogenetic patterns of concrescence and differentiation are similarly achieved through ontogenetic developmental differentiation, or a lack thereof.
- Example sentences
- In some situations two adjacent floral primordia can become concrescent.
- Here the entire world of the concrescent entity is prehended as a whole.
- The only means provided for such transmission in Whitehead's metaphysics is a hybrid physical prehension of God by the concrescent actual occasion.
Early 17th century (in the senses 'growth by assimilation' and 'a concretion'): from con- 'together' + -crescence, on the pattern of words such as excrescence. The current sense dates from the late 19th century.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of concrescence in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.