Definition of concussion in English:
1Temporary unconsciousness caused by a blow to the head. The term is also used loosely of the aftereffects such as confusion or temporary incapacity.
- The development of a better understanding of mild concussion is important for several reasons.
- These are signs of concussion and will need medical treatment.
- The vice chancellor is suffering from mild concussion after hitting his head on a tree branch earlier on the day of our interview.
2A violent shock as from a heavy blow: the ground shuddered with the concussion of the blast
More example sentences
- Thunderous night air raids on nearby Naples Harbor were becoming a regular thing and the tracers, explosions and bomb concussions made a violent show which we watched from the roof of our building.
- The movie begins with the crash, a violent concussion that leaves most of the crew and passengers dead.
- The other fighters shook from the concussion waves as their pilots looked in shock at the two fireballs.
force, impact, shock, jolt
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan