Definition of condyle in English:
A rounded protuberance at the end of some bones, forming an articulation with another bone.
- Twelve distal femoral condyles, proximal tibial condyles, and patellae were harvested; all soft tissue was removed.
- However, the position of the patella is controlled primarily by the geometry of the femoral trochlea, the femoral condyles, and the posterior surface of the patella.
- It presents medially a circular ‘articular surface of the head,’ directed anteroproximad and articulating with the lateral condyle of the tibia.
- Example sentences
- Our results showed that hypothermic storage resulted in a decrease of chondrocyte viability in condylar specimens up to 49% after 60 days.
- It may be formed of two superimposed layers and it may be more or less fused with the lateral pterygoid or send a fasciculus to the condylar process.
- A curious variation is an external carotid composed of two separate trunks that unite behind the condylar process of the mandible forming an anulus, from which the various branches arise.
Mid 17th century: from French, from Latin condylus, from Greek kondulos 'knuckle'.
Definition of condyle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.