Shell a predatory mollusk of warm seas, with a conical shell that typically displays intricate patterns. It captures prey by injecting venom, which can be lethal to humans, and the shells are popular with collectors.
- Genus Conus, family Conidae, class Gastropoda: numerous species
More example sentences
- But consider the unassuming cone shell - just the kind of malicious mollusk that will ‘actually sometimes go for you.’
- Out on the reef I'd have been unhappy about picking up a stromb because of its close resemblance to the lethal cone shell.
- Like that guy I mentioned before was reputed to have been scraping the back of the shell with a knife, and the cone shell got aggravated about that and fired the harpoon into his palm.
Definition of cone shell in:
- The British & World English dictionary