(British also confidence trick)
Definition of confidence game in English:
A swindle in which the victim is persuaded to trust the swindler in some way.
- The victim of the confidence game refuses to believe that he is being relieved of his money and dignity, but an ignominious fate awaits him every time.
- He asserted: ‘The whole arrangement is nothing less than a confidence trick perpetrated by the Government against people.’
- In the absence of a supportive fundamental backdrop, a ‘strong dollar’ policy is in reality nothing but an elaborate confidence trick.
confidence trickster noun
- BritishExample sentences
- Is there any institution of significance that will be left standing, by the time this confidence trickster is driven from office?
- He began, like any confidence trickster, by posing as ultra-responsible.
- For example, if you were seeking counsel prior to an important decision, you could use the speech he made to the time traveller / confidence trickster (can't remember the episode title).
Definition of confidence game in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan