- A figure formed by the intersection of a plane and a right circular cone. Depending on the angle of the plane with respect to the cone, a conic section may be a circle, an ellipse, a parabola, or a hyperbola.More example sentences
- The solutions to the equations describing the motions produced by this law are called conic sections - ellipses, hyperbolae and parabolae - which you get by intersecting a plane and a cone.
- For example he shows how to deform a circle into an ellipse and proves other results on deforming conic sections.
- He worked on conic sections and produced important theorems in projective geometry.
More definitions of conic sectionDefinition of conic section in:
- The British & World English dictionary