Definition of coniine in English:
A volatile poisonous compound found in hemlock and other plants. It affects the motor nerves, causing paralysis and asphyxia.
- An alkaloid, 2-propylpiperidine; chemical formula: C8H17N
- Like Homo sapiens, animals take important cues from smell and know to stay away from flowers like the dreaded Douglas water hemlock, whose broad white blossoms contain coniine, which is deadly.
- Other alkaloids that have been identified in hemlock are methyl coniine, ethyl piperidine and pseudoconhydrine.
- It is the poison coniine that produces the flying effect.
Definition of coniine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.