noun (plural conjunctivae /-ˈtīvē/)Anatomy
The mucous membrane that covers the front of the eye and lines the inside of the eyelids.
More example sentences
- Over the sclera lies the conjunctiva, a clear mucous membrane that protects the eye from becoming dry.
- The remaining chapters include discussions of tumors of the orbit, eyelid, conjunctiva, cornea and sclera, uvea, and optic nerve.
- Most ocular complications involve the cornea but may also include the conjunctiva, uvea, sclera, retina, and surrounding structures.
- More example sentences
- Unlike eyelid or conjunctival involvement, corneal involvement can result in significant vision loss.
- It is important to identify and remove conjunctival and corneal foreign bodies.
- Review of the medical records indicated a definite cutaneous or conjunctival primary in 9 of 12 cases.
Definition of conjunctiva in:
- The British & World English dictionary