Connecting: connective words and phrases
More example sentences
- Most added words were two- or three-letter connective words that do not significantly change meaning.
- I find this helpful as it helps me to break out of word-thinking, and sometimes ‘analysing’ a word in terms of images sets off further associations and connective ideas.
- The participants were exposed to medical, social and domestic aspects of mental retardation and therapeutic intervention and connective strategies and the need to help the retarded to lead an independent life.
1Something that connects, in particular.
- To work efficiently, the message must have a context that the receiver comprehends, use a code that the participants share, and operate via a contact, a physical and psychological connective that each participant can enter.
- Early poems show her interest in dreams and the unconscious, irrational connectives, and multiple planes of perception.
1.1 Grammar A word or phrase whose function is to link linguistic units together.
- For now, here is a quick run-down of how to use connectives to make complex sentences from simple ones.
- In addition, the long-distance binding/logophoric domain in East Asian languages can also be introduced by a logocentric complementizer or connective.
- While one of them advised against using ‘while’ as a logical connective, I promptly found two such usages in the introduction to the same book.
1.2 Zoology A bundle of nerve fibers connecting two nerve centers or ganglia, especially in invertebrate animals.
- One branch ran through the cerebro-pleural connective into the ipsilateral pleural ganglion.
- A common modification occurring in many hetero- and hoplonemerteans is a dorsal vessel and transverse connectives.
- To demonstrate the role of the type 12 interneuron in mediating swim speed change we cut the pleural-pedal connective to remove the influence of this interneuron from the swim circuit.
Definition of connective in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.