An inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one’s behavior: he had a guilty conscience about his desires Ben was suffering a pang of conscience
More example sentences
- Does God create human beings with a conscience and moral reasoning powers and then leave them alone?
- He could touch if he wanted to, and he did want to, so badly, but his conscience knew it was wrong.
- The common people, whose consciences are still alert, are the wheat.
in (good) conscience
- By any reasonable standard; by all that is fair: they have in conscience done all they couldMore example sentences
- But I don't understand a man who has been supportive of the administration's policies, and who has reached a decision in conscience, should be treated like this by anyone in this country.
- ‘I marvel sometimes at the steadfastness of the whole Catholic body, at the discipline and obedience and love it has shown under a very demanding pope, the maturity of the decisions it makes in conscience,’ he wrote.
- Those who in conscience cannot obey United Methodist Church law, law that has been confirmed once again to represent the mind of the church, should practice ecclesial disobedience, not civil disobedience.
on one's conscience
- Weighing heavily and guiltily on one’s mind: an act of providence had prevented him from having a death on his conscienceMore example sentences
- But you immediately chose Hell as the one to which yours belongs, so I'm inclined to conclude, sir, that something must weigh very heavily on your conscience.
- The matter weighed on his conscience heavily, but he knew no other way of dealing with it.
- The consequences of her actions weighed heavily on her conscience, but she refused to feel guilty.
- More example sentences
- The conscienceless exploitation of the disadvantaged is something that every decent American should be concerned with.
- One can no longer argue that human suffering is certain and preordained without being judged conscienceless, even inhuman.
- To all you knuckle headed, conscienceless conservatives out there, read my first post again and allow yourself to ask the obvious question.