- A prize given to a competitor who narrowly fails to win or who finishes last: two hundred runners-up will get a consolation prizeMore example sentences
- If the Commonwealth Games is a consolation prize after the disappointment of two failed Olympic bids, it is proving a valuable one.
- As a softheaded liberal, I even like the idea that our competitive culture has a built-in consolation prize.
- But an incredible consolation prize is waiting for a team next season.
More definitions of consolation prizeDefinition of consolation prize in:
- The British & World English dictionary