Definition of consortium in English:
noun (plural consortia-tēə-SH(ē)ə or consortiums)
1An association, typically of several business companies.
- It would move the commissioning of care to local authorities, giving democratic control of the health service to locally elected people, with council consortiums commissioning more complex services.
- Examples of hybrid organizations include joint ventures and consortia that maximize resources, particularly information exchange between organizations.
- This would create opportunities for Irish syndicates and consortiums.
association, alliance, coalition, union, league, guild, syndicate, federation, confederation, confederacy, conglomerate, cooperative, combine, partnership, affiliation, organization;
club, society, congress
2 Law The right of association and companionship with one’s husband or wife.
- I though I read that the cause of action was for some form of loss of consortium - of the husband, that is.
- The action for loss of consortium in a sense would become irrelevant so far as concerns husbands and wives.
- The jury also made an award to him for loss of consortium.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.