1The protection or promotion of the interests of consumers.
- Rudawski's research interests include consumerism and higher education faculty diversity.
- In turn, this has fueled the emergence of a new consumer drive, vigilante consumerism.
2often derogatory The preoccupation of society with the acquisition of consumer goods.
- In the mainstream media, consumerism and marketing techniques impinge on news-editorial content and presentation.
- It is they who shoved us into wanton consumerism, into a society in which we must maintain a champagne lifestyle on mauby pockets.
- Like music and literature, art has become a commodity in a society of consumerism.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of consumerism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.