- 1The action of looking thoughtfully at something for a long time: the road is too busy for leisurely contemplation of the sceneryMore example sentences
- He most assuredly took on the look of deep and pensive thought, but to this man, all considerations and contemplations had been properly examined.
- With those words, Juset left the room, softly shutting the door behind her, leaving Tarach to his own thoughts and contemplations once again.
- He replied and returned to his contemplations, though slightly less concerned.
- 1.1Deep reflective thought: he would retire to his room for study or contemplationMore example sentences
- To understand strategy requires deep contemplation and endless study.
- Arthur does not slip easily into introspection, he is too sprightly a personality for deep contemplation.
- Airen had been lost in deep concentration and contemplation when she felt something nudge her shoulder.
- 1.2The state of being thought about or planned.More example sentences
- Should routine laboratory reports made in contemplation of prosecution be inadmissible if the technician does not testify?
- The case was adjourned in contemplation of dismissal, meaning if he stayed out of trouble for six months, the charges would disappear and the file be sealed.
- An oblong of pebbles and short posts anchored by a gnarled, leafless tree creates the isolated beach where Braidie retreats in contemplation.
- 1.3Religious meditation.More example sentences
- After hearing the dharma and becoming familiar with it through contemplation and meditation, we are able to take compassion as the basis of our daily activity.
- It was not for the few who, because of their personal aptitude, should feel drawn to a life of a so-called spiritual meditation and contemplation.
- It takes on an ambience of solemnity, filled with memory, contemplation, and meditation.
- 1.4(In Christian spirituality) a form of prayer or meditation in which a person seeks to pass beyond mental images and concepts to a direct experience of the divine.More example sentences
- The rosary is one of the traditional paths of Christian prayer directed to the contemplation of Christ's face.
- He and the Church are entering a period of reflection, contemplation, and prayer.
- This leads us into mysticism as the spiritual quality of staying in pure contemplation in the divine presence.
Middle English: from Old French, from Latin contemplatio(n-), from the verb contemplari (see contemplate).