Definition of continuant in English:
1 Phonetics A consonant that is sounded with the vocal tract only partly closed, allowing the breath to pass through and the sound to be prolonged (as with f, l, m, n, r, s, v).
- The Hebrew-Yiddish /ch/ is a fricative, a continuant (like [s]).
- The sound /r/ may be either an alveolar continuant or an alveolar tap that is particularly distinct initially (rabbit, run), after stops and fricatives (breathe, grass, three), and between vowels (carry, ferry).
- Continuants are formed with a vocal tract configuration allowing the airstream to flow through the midsaggital region of the oral tract: stops are produced with a sustained occlusion in this region.
2 Philosophy & Psychology A thing that retains its identity even though its states and relations may change.
- Self-consciousness arises with the identification of other visuo-tactual continuants as resembling the central body in being the sources of signs.
- Again, this seems reasonable and not unduly ad hoc, inasmuch as it incorporates the strong pre-theoretical intuition that substances are continuants rather than events.
- He aptly describes the physical objects we seem to ourselves, and take ourselves, to perceive as ‘visuo-tactual continuants '.
adjectiveBack to top
Of, relating to, or denoting a continuant.
- She had heard about a process called continuant movement that a teacher had done with people who had spinal cord injuries and paralysis.
- Continuant consonants are fricatives and liquids; i.e., just about everything except nasals, stops and affricates.
- The ordinary everyday notion of a continuant individual substance is in its own humble terms all right as it is.
Words that rhyme with continuantissuant • constituent
Definition of continuant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan