- Defying or opposing everyone else.More example sentences
- Deeply entrenched divisions of economic and political interests, obscured under the umbrella of ruralia contra mundum, doom these attempts at political mobilisation to failure.
- Unless the divine power has raised you us to be as Athanasius contra mundum, I see not how you can go through your glorious enterprise in opposing that execrable villainy which is the scandal of religion, of England, and of human nature.
- There for a minute I considered telling my friend the story of Athanasius, who famously stood ‘against the world’ (contra mundum) to defend the orthodox view of the Trinity and the deity of Christ during the Council of Nicea, but he had plenty of other things on his mind so before I had another chance to speak, the thought had escaped me.
Latin, 'against the world'.
More definitions of contra mundumDefinition of contra mundum in:
- The British & World English dictionary