Definition of contrabass in English:
another term for double bass.
- Basses and even occasionally contrabasses are also made for flute bands.
- His primary instruments are the contrabass, voice, piano, electronics, and various percussive devices.
- It begins with electronic sounds of garbled voices and interference from static-laden radio channels, and gradually introduces gentle guitar strumming, stately piano chords, warm contrabass, and dreamy steel guitar.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
Denoting a musical instrument with a range an octave lower than the normal bass range: a contrabass clarinet
More example sentences
- These horns are often found in their lowest manifestation, with Havard Lund playing bass clarinet and Nils Jansen alternating between contrabass clarinet and bass saxophone.
- I played contrabass clarinet in the school Concert Band, guitar in the Jazz Big Band, percussion in the school orchestra and I began to write music.
- Among the collection's highlights are the double slide contrabass trombone which inspired Wagner to write for the instrument in his Ring Cycle, a crystal glass flute and an early euphonium.
Definition of contrabass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.