- A vacuole in some protozoans that expels excess liquid on contraction.More example sentences
- The cytoplasm contains, in addition to digestive vacuoles, contractile vacuoles which probably function in the control of osmotic pressures.
- The amount of contractile vacuoles can tailor in accordance with suctorian species, age and size.
- The purpose of the contractile vacuole is to expel excess water from the cell, preventing the cell from swelling up.
More definitions of contractile vacuoleDefinition of contractile vacuole in:
- The British & World English dictionary