- A condition of shortening and hardening of muscles, tendons, or other tissue, often leading to deformity and rigidity of joints.More example sentences
- General management of the arthritic process is important, with physiotherapy to prevent joint contracture.
- Forearm and lower leg measurements cross joints and could be affected by joint deformity such as contracture.
- During the immobilization of a fracture, all nonimmobilized parts must be moved to avoid stiffness, muscle atrophy and joint contractures.
mid 17th century: from French, or from Latin contractura, from Latin contract- 'drawn together', from the verb contrahere.
More definitions of contractureDefinition of contracture in:
- The British & World English dictionary