nounchiefly North American
- A trail of condensed water from an aircraft or rocket at high altitude, seen as a white streak against the sky.More example sentences
- I suggest it might be possible that fast moving jets generating energy and contrails in an electrically charged atmosphere may be able to form red plasma orbs that were imaged by Nicolas.
- Sometimes, when we pass very close to or even fly through contrails left by another jet, we can see the twisting motion caused by the jet exhaust which created them.
- The thick, twisting contrails still prevented any visual sightings.
1940s: abbreviation of condensation trail.
More definitions of contrailDefinition of contrail in:
- The British & World English dictionary